Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Best Accident That Ever Happened

This morning at 8:27 am I got the kids loaded into the van to take Carter to preschool.  Just as I was starting to back out Carter was asking me non-stop to change the cd to his favorite High School Musical song. 

 I was distracted, I was in a hurry and the next thing I know, I hear some light scratching and feel the van hit something.  Oh boy!  I stop the car, look over to my left shoulder and see our car in the driveway inches away from my face.  My heart sunk and I panicked.  I put the car in drive and drove back into the garage.  Carter was yelling "What was that mom!  Did we crash?" 

I got out of the van to assess the damage.  I looked at the van, not much happened that wasn't already there.  I saw that the side mirror on the car was folded in. I blew out a sigh of relief.  That was it, that was what we heard.  No, no it wasn't.  I walked further back and there is was.  The two passenger side doors had some scratches and there was some scratches and denting by the rear tire.  Great.

I ran into the house to tell Cody.  I knew he wouldn't be mad.  He doesn't get mad.  I felt SO bad, though.  How could I have done this?  I mean, I backed into our own car.  I felt like an idiot.  Just like I felt in high school after seminary when I backed into someone's bumper.  $100 dollars later that was fixed.  Thanks again, dad.  Back to my story. I knocked on the bathroom door.  Cody was just getting into the shower.  I told him to hurry and open the door.  He opened it fast.  I had a horrible look on my face and told him "I did something really bad."  The blood rushed out of his face and he asked "what?"   I told him what happened and he wasn't mad at all.  Just like I suspected.  He said "Oh well, you just live and learn."  What?  That's all you have to say for my stupidity?  I ran out of the house and took the kids to preschool feeling very bad about what I had done. One more thing to pay for and plus, our insurance premium could go up.  When I got home, I looked at the damage done again.  It didn't look too bad, but bad enough that the paint might start to rust where it had come off. 

So my friends, this morning wasn't the best; however, I called our insurance company right away and they said that we wouldn't have to pay a deductible since I "crashed" into my own car.  That was the best news of all.  This is the best kind of accident you want to get in.  Now let's just hope the underwriters don't up our premium.  We have had good driving records our whole lives...until today.  The car is currently in the shop getting fixed for the next week. I'm without a car for the next week.  I did no car for 8 months when we just had Carter, I can do this, right?  

We aren't big car people.  Given the chance and some cash, maybe we would be.  For now, I will settle for the free 1995 Honda Odyssey I'm currently sporting.  We like no payments around here.  

The moral of the story is, be careful when you are backing out of your garage.  AND if you aren't, you had better hope you married a kind husband like I did.  


6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Ouch....

I remember when you ran into Ryan's car....hilarious, hilarious.

Chelsea said...

By the way, did Carter learn his lesson to not bug mommy???

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry! I know exactly how you feel...because I did the same thing. But I have a very embarassing confession...it didn't happen just once. No that's right I backed into Alan's car twice!!! Now that is what you call stupidity!

The Bluths said...

I remember in high school I backed into my brother's car and smashed one of the reflector like coverings. I went to where I was going and hoped that no one would notice. My mom has eyes like an eagle and saw the broken pieces on the driveway and asked me about it. I guess I can't get away with anything :)

Jenna said...

I've done it too! You're definitely not alone here. But David reacts just like Cody....live and learn

♥ Jennifer said...

Cody has the best demeanor! Cade and I just love you two!